Tarentum Today

This is for the people that haven't been back to Tarentum for awhile and wonder what it looks like today. Some places are gone some have changed, like Henrys, gone, but you still will visualize where the places used to be and how it was. Good old Tarentum. When I meet people they ask where I’m from, I tell them Tarentum but I now live in Natrona Hgts. Another question I get asked a lot these days are why in the hell did you get on the school board? Well the number one reason among many others is there was rumors that the past board wanted to tear down my Alma Mater. Me said over my dead body. I am working on pictures from the past also. That will be the next project. So if any of you can contribute with some kind words and some pictures I would really appreciate it. Oh. I was talking to old dog Tim Christy and he is going to hook me up with some pre-60’s year books Remember to enlarge the picture, most will if you click on that pic. Thanks and enjoy

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

DOWNTOWN TARENTUM, CORBET ST.

Now


Then









CLICK TO ENLARGE

Comments:
This picture shows the christmas bells that I remember seeing up each year in town. Murphy's was my favorite for buying model cars and sitting at that black marble counter at the soda bar. Remember the ladies that worked in that place?
 
yes and when you walked in on the left side, the comic book rack was there. we would sit there for what seemed hours reading esp. Mad Mag. If I remember the models were down them steps by the magazine rack and to the left at the bottom.Records were right after the soda fountain. I still have records I bought there with Murphys price tag????????Top hits of the week were 27 cents after a week they went on sale @ 3 fer 50 cents.Then Shoupe and I would walk out the back door and head home.
 
That was the place Mom would take me and my brother Christmas shopping. One memory I have, we were doing some shopping around Christmas, Mom was down another isle I guess, I was at the counter with the goodies in glass cases. I spotted a little hole in the corner of one of the cases and saw a pretzel sticking out. I grabbed it, ate it and thought I was being very sneaky. I don't know if anyone ever saw me do that. LOL I never told anyone about that. I knew I would get into trouble if I got caught doing such a thing.. ha ha. I think I was around 6 or 7 at the time... Another walk down memory lane for me.. thanks!!
 
Thank you Shirley for the nice comments. Keep checking I will be gettin back to this, other projects kept me away but I will be up-dating soon.
 
I remember that the store windows would be professionally painted with Christmas scenes during the holidays. Santa and elves were stationed in a temporarily built NorthPole in middle of town. You would receive a box of popcorn after seeing Santa. (Mid-late 1950's)
 
G C Murphys was an amazing place to go to when I was a kid. I loved it. I remember the upstairs being sort of a balcony it wasn't big. The downstairs steps when you come in from corbet. The other entrance on 4th Avenue was cool! I remember the pop corn and especially when they got the slushes later! They had a big valentine box of candies that you could win one year. It was huge, by my standards, as a kid. My mom won it and all five kids enjoyed that chocolate for a long time! Another great memory! Lyd
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?